Thursday, 12 June 2008 10:37
|Ron Dennis refuses to rule out Formula One 'breakaway' : -
In the wake of the Max Mosley sex scandal, McLaren boss Ron Dennis has refused to rule out backing a Formula One 'breakaway'.
It emerged recently that splitting with the Mosley led FiA was discussed between team chiefs and Bernie Ecclestone during a series of meetings at the Canadian Formula One Grand Prix.
British team McLaren, last year fined $100m by the FiA for its involvement in a spy scandal, said in the wake of Mosley's retention as FiA President that it hoped the sport "will now enter a period of stability".
But at the Mercedes powered team's Woking factory on Wednesday, for the launch of a British motorsport campaign 'Go Motorsport ' , Dennis refused to rule out a shakeup.
"If anything is put forward as an initiative that is in the best interests of Formula One and this company I will support it," he said in an interview with the news agency AP.
"That does not mean I favour any particular path at the moment. We need stability, consistency and the right values and images for Formula One and whatever process is put forward if it's the right one I'll support it," he added.
Dennis, McLaren's chairman, CEO and co-owner, said he was disappointed about the leaks following the Montreal meetings, including speculation that his team and also Honda support Ecclestone's rumoured 'breakaway' threat.