Home NEWS by SERIES F1 F1 : Rigon steps up at Ferrari after Force India Formula 1 team sign Bianchi
F1 : Rigon steps up at Ferrari after Force India Formula 1 team sign Bianchi E-mail
Saturday, 28 January 2012 10:59
Davide Rigon will succeed the former Ferraro reserve Formula One driver after Force India confirmed reports it has chosen Jules Bianchi to replace Nico Hulkenberg in 2012.

German Hulkenberg, the official reserve and 'Friday' practice driver last year, has moved into a race seat with the Silverstone based team.

Frenchman Bianchi, a GP2 Series driver last year, will now sit on the sidelines at Force India in 2012.

Like Sergio Perez, the 22 year old is a Ferrari development driver, handled by Felipe Massa's manager Nicolas Todt.

"For sure we want to invest (in Bianchi) because we believe in him," Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicali said late last season.

Force India said on Friday Bianchi, to make his test debut with the team next month, will also practice "in a minimum of nine Friday practice sessions" this season.

"I hope it (the new role) will put me in a strong position to one day move into a race seat," he said.

Bianchi, along with Fernando Alonso, Felipe Massa and his 2012 successor Davide Rigon, is currently attending a Ferrari fitness camp in the Canary islands.

"Jules will still be part of the Ferrari driver academy," confirmed the Maranello based team.

Ferrari added that Italian GP2 Series driver Rigon, 25, "has recently extended his relationship" with the team.

He "will be on call for all racing and promotional activities also for the 2012 and 2013 seasons", said Ferrari.

F1SA.com
 
OVER 18 YEARS OF SERVICE TO ALL PASSIONATE F1 AND MOTOR SPORT SUPPORTERS
Informing those in the know who want to know even more
Dedicated to: Rudolf Ray +++ 14 April 2002 to 7 September 2007 +++
Stelios Avgerinos +++ 23 November 1931 to 4 February 2014 +++
fosa