Tuesday, 11 December 2012 12:49
Barrichello 'torn' between Indy and stock car for 2013 - The Formula One veteran Rubens Barrichello says he is "torn" between staying in IndyCar next year or returning to his native Brazil to contest the premier Stock Car series full time.
Barrichello made his INDY debut in 2012 but was believed to have run into sponsor trouble as he pushed for a second consecutive season next year.
In the meantime, he has contested a few rounds of Brazil's Stock Car series, and according to Agencia Estado news agency, Barrichello is now considering a full season in 2013.
"I'm torn between INDY and Stock Car," 40 year old Barrichello said.
"I think we will make an announcement soon."
He admitted he would have liked another season in the USA, in order to build on the lessons learned in 2012.
"I'd like to put into practice what I've learned," said Barrichello.
"But it may be nearing the time to go home, for my children. Anyway, I'm in a good situation, because I am able to choose as far as how I work."
Brazilian driver Caca Bueno claimed on Sportv television that Barrichello will indeed contest the full 2013 Stock Car championship.
The Brazilian championship has seen five fatal accidents:
- In 1985, Zeca Greguricinski, died at Interlagos. He was burnt to death.
- In June 2001, Laércio Justino, died at Nelson Piquet Circuit of Brasília after lost control of the car and crashed at the pit lane entrance.
- In September 2003, Raphael Lima Pereira, a 19 year-old photographer, was hit by Gualter Salles at Campo Grande circuit and died. He was near the safety area at the accident.
- On 9 December 2007, Rafael Sperafico, of the Sperafico racing family, died during the final race of the Stock Car Light 2007 season at Interlagos. His cousins Rodrigo and Ricardo Sperafico race in the top-level series. It was the first fatal accident in the Stock Car Light series.
- On 3 April 2011, Gustavo Sondermann, competing in a Copa Chevrolet Montana race, was killed at Interlagos in an accident almost identical to that of Sperafico, four years earlier.
If you found this service informative please be kind and leave a tip.