Wednesday, 09 January 2013 14:10
Ecclestone rules out Austria for 2013 - Austria and Turkey will not be on the 213 Formula One calendar, while the Nurburgring looks set to host this year's German Grand Prix.
"It should be the Nurburgring, we will try to make it possible," Bernie Ecclestone is quoted by the Austrian newspaper Kronen Zeitung.
Media reports said meetings between the financially embattled German circuit's officials and the Formula 1 Chief Executive will take place imminently in London.
As for the identity of the mystery 20th race location this year, Ecclestone ruled out Austria, despite the reported candidature of the former A1-Ring.
"Too few hotels," said Ecclestone when asked about the Red Bull Ring in Spielberg. "That is the only problem, the circuit is great, the people are all friendly and a pleasure to work with.
"Unfortunately, there are just too few hotel rooms in the region," he insisted.
Despite efforts to revive the Turkish Grand Prix, Ecclestone acknowledged that the 2013 schedule could drop to 19 rounds.
Red Bull, however, is not giving up on the Austrian bid.
"So far we haven't received an official calendar. Nobody has spoken with us," said Dr. Helmut Marko.
"I can imagine many things, even a year with only 19 races. But I can't comment and so I won't," he added.